Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Callan: Set 2



CALLAN & HIS DARK SPY WORLD ENDS WITH THIS SET
Callan is a secret agent, spy, assassin, British SIS, nasty with a tinge of conscious. Edward Woodward playing David Callan, also is known as "The Equalizer" but in this set 2 you get the final 13 episodes (51 min. each) of the Callan series of Cold War intelligence games. It was filmed at the height of the real Cold War, done as realistic as those times, so the espionage experiences were within the 1970's period spy-vs-spy era. The sets are perfection, looking truly like a 1970's period thriller drama because that is exactly when they were made. Stories are timeless and excel without the technology gadgetry necessary for success in contemporary spy films. Classic.

There are some story links between episodes beyond just cast.

Meet the regular cast: Spy Callan of Secret Intelligence Service, like his colleagues, has no trustful friends. Lonely (Russell Hunter who adds some comedy) is an ex-con/always-a-con who likes Callan, smells badly like rotted BO, & is...

Wonderful product but SHODDY MISLEADING labelling
This is a wonderful boxed set BUT for some time it has been available on the Amazon UK site correctly labelled as Callen Series 4. For some reason, it was decided to market it on the US site as SET 2 which caused me to order it in anticipation of receiving the as yet unissued Callan Series 2. I was appalled to receive a different box but containing the identical product to the set I had already purchased from the UK. I note in passing that the Callan Series 3 which has been sold by Amazon.UK for years is now available in the US as SET 1.
To my mind this isn't good enough from Amazon, particularly with the repackaging which adds to the impression that there is something deliberate being done to cash in on Edward Woodwards recent death. I'm repackaging the Box & returning it to the US and unless I get a refund for my purchase I won't be dealing with them again.

Callan Lives
I remember watching this series as a young child. Having grown up during the cold war times, I can connect with this series. Callan was a great show--not so much the set or gadgetry but the acting and atmosphere portrayed at that period in time. Edward Woodward is Callan--his portrayal is riveting (RIP). It's great to now own set 1 (season 3) and set 2 (season 4). I would have liked to have purchased "Callan:The Monochrome Years" (surviving episodes of season 1 and 2) but I need a region-free DVD player which I don't own. For those of you in the same boat, I found a seller on ioffer (seller "yrnamehere") who has copied over the "Monochrome" DVD into the NTSC(US) format plus included the Callan movies. I have watched most of them and I am very pleased with the copies. Now I know how Callan got to be who he is and also what exactly happen before he ended up in the hospital--the episode before Set 1, episode 1 (season 3). Hope it's ok to post this information since Amazon does not...

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment