Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Neo Angelique Abyss: Season 1



A reboot of the popular Japanese video game series, comes an action/adventure anime series feat. a new storyline and characters
During my first trip to Japan, I would frequent many video game shops and I remember one title that I saw plenty of and that was "Angelique".

At the time, I didn't know anything about the series and when I looked online when I arrived back in the US, there was not much information (in English) about the series. But over a decade later, the Angelique franchise has since grown and even attracted video game fans worldwide.

"Angelique" a dating sim which has appeared on various consoles since its first appearance on the Super Famicom back in 1994 and most recently the game "Angelique Duet" on the Nintendo DS in 2006. In April 2008, the series received a reboot with a new storyline and new characters and aired on television with the title "Neo Angelique ~Abyss~" and aired on TV Tokyo for two seasons. The first season has been released in the US courtes of Sentai Filmworks.

"Neo Angelique ~Abyss~" is directed by Shin Katagai (who has worked as episode...

Pleasantly surprised!
No experience with the video games nor anime, but taking a look now that we have a ROKU. I suspect that if you watch enough anime, it'd get pretty hard to differentiate characters since everyone seems to be using the same template for the most part. I'm assuming it has more to do with production costs than talent and creativity on the part of the artists.

About the series, though, I was truly surprised by the quality of the writing. I didn't expect to find so many layers and so much "philosophical" depth. For example, considering its complex origins, "Erbos" is especially interesting; not just a "rogue entity", but the result of human beings' propensity to thoughtlessly "demonize" others. Considering Erbos' feminine nature and histories of protective intent, perhaps the initial response to a child's pleas for help was more than just an evil thing looking for a residence?

To cut to the chase, I truly enjoyed watching the series.

For Amazon Instant...

I Like it!
it is really detailed and mysterious you never can suspect what's going to happen next! I would really recommend it to someone else.

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment