Monday, September 30, 2013

Gary Unmarried: The Complete First Season



Cute, though somewhat generic, sitcom
Having become a fan of the funny Jay Mohr during his time on "Ghost Whisperer," I was excited to learn he'd gotten a show of his own and really had high hopes for it. However, while it does have some better episodes/moments than others, I do have to say that for the most part, there's really nothing to make this show stand out from scads of other predictable sitcoms.

The premise of the show centers upon Gary Brooks (Jay Mohr) having recently divorced his wife of many years, Allison (Paula Marshall). The two share custody of their teen children, Tom - a typically goofy, slightly lazy young male like his dad in many ways - and Louise, an overachieving perfectionist. Gary is self-employed as a painter, while Allison is a stay-at-home mom. While Gary is just beginning to get back into dating after many years of marriage, Allison has already found someone new, and is already engaged.

Many of the show's conflicts and humor stem from the differences between Gary's and...

I'd only watch this if nothing else was on. It's funny but not enough for my time.
Gary Unmarried - The Complete First Season TV on DVD Review
20 Episodes on 3 Discs Widescreen Edition (2010)

"Gary Unmarried" is a sitcom about a single dad paint contractor, Gary Brooks (Jay Mohr) who has a very workable relationship with his ex-wife, Allison (Paula Marshall) as they take care of the kids and fight. Paula is engaged to their marriage counselor Dr. Krandall played by Ed Begley Jr. and Gary is trying to date again after fifteen years of marriage and has managed to find another single-mom hottie Vanessa (Jaime King). Their son, Tom (Ryan Malgarini) is just getting interested in girls and their daughter, Louise (Kathryn Newton) is trying to save the world and has a crush on Al Gore.

I haven't watched comedy sitcoms since Home Improvement, Family Matters, and Seinfeld when I was younger so the first thing that struck me watching this first season of this show was the canned laughter. It takes a lot to get used to again, it just feels so phony...

Very Impressed!!!
I would've never started watching this if I was in the U.S. when I first saw it. I would've never caught my attention. Since I was deployed to Iraq, there were limited shows that came on TV and this was one of them. I watched it because the other shows were shows that were over 10 years old and I've pretty much seen them all. And I must say, it is a VERY good and entertaining show. I was truly impressed with it. It was the first show/series that I looked for on DVD when I returned from deployment. Needless to say, I was disappointed because it wasn't out on DVD. Now that it is (soon), I will be one of the first to get it. This is a must buy and a great adult show. Side note: Many kids under 13 may not get some of the jokes, but it's not really geared towards that audience.

A+

Semper Fidelis!

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment