Sunday, October 6, 2013

Like Stars on Earth (Two Disc DVD + CD)



The film is truly heartwarming, inspiring and I admit it made me shed a couple of tears. Highly Recommended!
In 2007, director Aamir Khan ("Earth", "Ghulam", "Ishq", "Rangeela" and a long list of other popular films) and writer/creative director Amole Gupte began work on "Taare Zameen Par" (Like Stars on Earth). After its screening in theaters, the film received was critically acclaimed, amassed several awards but most importantly raised awareness of dyslexia in India but also around the world.

Now this remarkable film is available on DVD in the US from Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment with a special 3-disc set which includes a bonus DVD with special features and the original soundtrack for the film. Plus two postcards featuring the two award winning artwork from the film.

"Like Stars on Earth" revolves around an 8-year-old boy named Ishaan Awashthi (played by Darsheel Safary), a boy who is repeating his third-grade. A child who is imaginative and also creative but once he sees words or mathematical problems, they are backwards. But because of this, it affects...

One of the best movies ever
I am only two weeks shy of turning 59, but I have to say this is one of the best movies I have ever seen. This story of a child shunned by his teachers, his own father, his peers, as someone who is lazy and does not apply himself to the way of success is happening in India, but could be happenning anywhere in the modern world.

He has trouble with reading and writing as letters seem dancing in front of his eyes. Everyone blames him for not concentrating and trying harder instead of even considering he may be suffering from dyslexia.

I am not going to say more about him because I do not want to spoil the story of this beautiful film.

The film is bilingual, Hindi and English. I am quite concerned that Amazon is listing English as the only language for this release. Surely there is enough room on a 3-DVD set for two tracks, the original and the English dub! That is an absolute must, a condition without which I have no intention of buying it...

What an event!
I don't believe I have seen a quality movie such as this from Bollywood. Maybe Salam Bombay.

I am getting to know this Amir Khan dude. WoW! freaking amazing work.

This ain't your typical bollywood fare...and neither is this a pseudo "intellectual" garbage from West Bengal. I mean, no offense.. I like those eye candy movies from Bollywood. But this was absolutely shockingly good.

Now, I am sitting here googling to find out who those players are... particularly the kid. I was endeared to this kid in about 2 minutes. Yup, it took me no more than 2 minutes to identify with him and take him in (Darsheel Safary as Ishaan Awasthi).

Amir Khan..Bravo!

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment